Wednesday, September 17, 2014

"Putting on makeup is like painting"

The other day I was applying my makeup at my college dorm room desk and there were a few of my friends sitting on my bed hanging out. It wasn’t until I was halfway done that I noticed every girl’s eyes on me. One of the girls remarked, “Putting on makeup is like painting.” She was exactly correct. Just like painting, a makeup artist needs to understand techniques like blending, selecting complimentary colors, different textures, and much more. I look at each person as a blank canvas, similar to how a painter begins his or her work, and create something entirely new.
Take a look at some paint brushes...
Thaneeya McArdel


Now notice how they don't look that different from makeup brushes...


Maha Haven
Maha Haven
Not much of a difference is there??

Also, as I proceed further into my journey, my materials are becoming more complex. Just as a painter may begin with finger paints and mature into 3-D sculptures, the makeup I use takes more skill to use properly.

Ashley Brooke
In elementary and middle school I strictly used makeup from my local drugstore. The makeup offered at drugstores is by no means considered to be great quality. Drugstore makeup was a great way for me to get familiar with different products and develop my abilities. 
                    



Prettychichousewife.blogspot.com
Currently, the majority of my makeup collection consists of high-end makeup. I personally enjoy the formula and performance of high-end makeup much more than drugstore makeup. Yes, the price of it can be ridiculous, but if you take makeup seriously it is a great investment.

Like an artist, a makeup artist covers the basics and is then able to graduate to better quality materials. Trying different types of makeup gives you an idea of what brands, textures, and finishes that you like to work with. Without this experimental time in my life, I would not know how to judge brands and products for my own. I would have to rely only on the word of others.

Similar to how Dennis Baron compares patterns of new communication technologies in his article "From Pencils to Pixels: The Stages of Literacy Technologies", I am currently trying and testing new beauty technology. Baron writes, "Both the supporters and the critics of new communication technologies like to compare them to the good, or bad, old days." Meaning, whenever I'm introduced to a new brand or product, I compare it to other company's and make my judgement from there. Sometimes I prefer the drugstore makeup over the high-end makeup because I genuinely feel like it does a better job.

No comments:

Post a Comment